
I have recently come face to face with another one of my many shortcomings. I have become intolerant of adults who are intolerant. I don't know how to fix this. I believe (and teach) that we really need to love the people around us because like ourselves, they are just trying to survive the human experience. But, I really don't like people who are so blatantly sexist, racist, ageist, homophobic, etc. What am I supposed to do with this? When I encounter a student in my class who falls into one of these categories, I instantly react by drowning them in information, teaching them empathy, and treating them with the love and respect I think they should be showing other people. So why then can I not do this with most of the adults around me that I clash with? Why is my patience for them almost non-existent? I will work on this because I don't want to be like them. I do not want to be the kind of person who cannot accept beliefs, choices, cultures, or lifestyles that are different from my own.
lovemaura
No comments:
Post a Comment