When I first started studying photography, one of my main arguments about nature photography was that the photographer really shouldn't be taking too much credit for the art. Yes, it was apparent that there are many factors that go in to a great photograph, and a well trained, talented photographer can often shoot a subject better than an amateur. My issue with it was that nature is out of our control. It's alluring without any help from our lenses. It frustrated me when a person tried to take the credit for a beautiful photo when all the kudos should go to the Earth! :) To me, capturing a sunset photo was totally a right place at the right time kind of thing. Plus, I was (am) always much more awe struck by the real thing.
And now, with that being said, I have to admit that I'm guilty of taking more photos of a sunset/sunrise than most people! I grew out of my pretentiousness when it came to photography (WHEW!). I realized that my attraction to a photo wasn't about the talent of the artist as much as it was about my personal connection to the image. So who cares if you didn't take the first picture ever of a sunset, or the mountain landscape, or of the snowfall! Who cares if you didn't perfectly factor lighting and use a professional camera! What makes an image beautiful is the eye that is seeing it. It doesn't matter if I'm impressed with your sunset photo or not. It only matters how it makes you feel.
So, check out my attempts at shooting sunrise and sunset photos!
I played with the idea for the sunrise photo for sure! Mostly because I didn't want to wake up that early on my Florida vacation.
Last Thought: Isn't taking a photo the ultimate compliment? Think about it. You shoot a moment because you find it to be so beautiful that you always want to remember it. Nature deserves all that praise! (Whoa...I just went all Earthy on you!)
lovemaura


1 comment:
Well said, indeed. And that sunset photo is AMAZING!!! Such beautiful colors (and beautiful ladies). :-) I'm going to be in FL after Christmas--hopefully I'll get to experience (and capture) some of those magical sunsets. :-) Thanks for sharing!
Post a Comment