When you're a teenager, that individualism can take you one of two ways. Either you find pride in being different, or you constantly torture yourself trying to learn where to fit in. These formative years of life are so difficult because of this learning experience. I mean, you survived 'em; you remember how difficult it was!
When you're a teenager, it's possible that you'll find yourself in my classroom having to circle up and share one thing with the class that you want them to know about you. It is also possible that you may find yourself writing an "About Me" blog so you and your classmates can get to know each other.
When you're a teenager, it just might happen that your teacher will be so impressed with your joking expression of self that you'll end up on her blog!
Now, let's look at Joe! Joe proudly shared with my class the other day that he is the only "Asian" student in our school. I ran Vantage Point's 250 students through my head and quickly realized that he was right. Joe loves this individuality. I asked him about how it made him feel, and he said, "proud." As much as it break my heart that VPHS isn't more diverse, I am glad that Joe is such a fine representative of Vietnam! He definitely holds his own, and that impresses me. Plus, he's an expert at using humor to embrace an individualism that would make many other students feel excluded.
Check out the 15 facts that Joe shared about himself. They're a little over the top, but that's precisely why I love them! (Oh, and in case you're wondering where I got the title of this blog, check out Joe's display name!)
lovemaura

No comments:
Post a Comment