Learning from Life One Story at a Time

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Try Being Something New for a Day!

I love costumes! I love dressing up, painting my face, or just pretending to be someone else every once in awhile. I'm not saying I don't like to be me; I'm saying that I like to live in a "daydreamy" kind of world where I can find an escape and become anything I want. For some reason I feel cool in a costume. There's a confidence, a demeanor, an attitude that I take on when I don't have to wear my Maura mask for awhile and I look forward to that breath of new air sometimes.

Throughout my life I have costumed up for many different occasions, and I'm lucky to be surrounded by friends who are down to do it with me. So, if you haven't spent enough time with me yet, know that whether it's Halloween, a birthday party, or just a moment of boredom, I expect you to be ready to dress up at any moment!


Little angel Maura?! HA! Obviously my Mama didn't know what I was going to be like yet!
Also, look at Snakey Micaela behind me. My sister, is adorable, hilarious, and her own person always! Gotta love her!


I still wish I was a kitten. Although, adult Maura would be a black cat. I'll leave the innocent white kitten back with my innocent youth.


When I was a little girl, I wanted to be a super hero. I'm not really sure where this came from, but it was probably inspired by my love for She-Ra! Can you tell me what the hat is because I seriously don't remember?


Who didn't want to be a ballerina when they were 6?! I dropped out of gymnastics shortly after this because I couldn't do a cartwheel! I still can't pull off that bullshit!
(Look at cute little Shane in the door)


Me as Daisy Duck and Micaela as Minnie. Mama hand-made these ones for us! Actually, she hand-made all of our costumes. She's crafty!


Nothing better than Boyd as Satan and me and Sheena as his trusty demons! If I remember correctly, this is the Halloween that Sheena and I were broke so we took up a collection to raise money and then based our costume on what we could scrounge up with our spare change.


Jess is the master of face painting when we get bored. This isn't the first or last time she has decorated my face and I'm super happy about that! This was a night that we spent in a Double Tree Hotel for no other reason than to feel like we were on vacation in our own town.


Jess and I needed sumo costumes if we were going to wrestle properly. We used Micaela's clothes to make-shift the right look.


Don Maura...kind of a boring costume to look at, but a total blast to act out all night! Sheena and I have always wanted to be part of the mafia.


If you can't embrace your inner white trash, then you have some problems...


I would always Rock and Roll All Night with Emy and Megan. This time we looked ready for the part. Ace Frehley was in rehab (or so we told people).


Sometimes, when you spend enough time with your good friend Chachi, you'll find your head wrapped for no reason at all. I'm not sure what I am supposed to be, or why I am trying to be it, but it was an entertaining moment nonetheless!


Another moment where Jess gets bored and paints my face. I really don't know what she was thinking when she did this one. Ask her!


I had a lot more sheets wrapped around me at some point in the night. I think this was Disease Called Human's first show, so I'm sure I left some of my mummy in the pit.


What was I thinking here? I don't know. Vampire Mime? Hmmmm....


The original pirate costume! Would've left this one out because of my company in the picture, but I look way too hot with huge red eyelashes to not add this to the mix!


"Joleen, Joleen, Joleen, JOLEEN! I'm begging of you please don't take my man!" Lord knows I have the boobs you need to be Dolly Parton!


I can be somebody's knight in shining armor, right?


Nerdy Symm and the hot ladies. Some things don't change, even on Halloween! From left to right Viv, Sonia, Jessica, Symm, Maura, Audrey


The "Hit and Run Prom Queen" was fun to put together. Adam actually tied my dress to the back of his truck and drove around his neighborhood to mess it up. It took me days to get all the tangles out of my nesty (yes, that is now a word) hair!


Calavera for Dia de Los Muertos in memory of Grandma and Grandpa Wishard.


The pissed off 1980s groupie?!


Queen of Hearts hanging out with Skeleton Jen, Smokin' and Drinkin' Grandma Tashina, and Matador Vivian!


Purple Pirate! with Spencer, Becky and Brandy.


And by the end of the night I added on pieces of everyone else's costume to make my purple "pirateness" more complex!


Clown wig and tons of eye make-up procured at the VPHS Winter Park Retreat!


Naomi really does bite, and I'm sure her zombie self can't wait to get her hands on your BRAINS!


Calavera inspired by Sylvia Ji

Side note: The best part of putting together this blog was going through years and years of photos and looking at my peoples' costumes, not just my own. I am truly surrounded by some creative and crafty family and friends and I love them for loving costumes as much as I do! So, show me what you've got. I want to see your costume photos!
lovemaura




1 comment:

Micah D.L. said...

I love that you love costuming! I never thought I'd see the day when someone actually loved it more than me haha!