Learning from Life One Story at a Time

Saturday, August 27, 2011

A Song from my Favorite Album

I heard the words "favorite album" and the first thing that came to mind is The White Album, which excited me because it meant that I could post "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" as one of my music challenge songs. But then I thought about it more and I realized that saying my favorite album is The White Album is not true. It's just a cliché.

Then I thought about the first album that I ever bought myself. The memories of child-sized Maura head-banging in the living room started flooding back, which made me look forward to posting a song from Nevermind. To this day I can't turn off Nirvana. I won't do it. I can't! So, from that album I figured I would post "Breed". (Check out super sexy Dave Grohl in this video. Swoon!) Unfortunately though, I grew past this album. I still love it, but it's not my "favorite."

So then I tried to think about what album I've listened to front to back more times than any other and I came up with Distant Relatives. I freaking love Damian Marley and Nas and I'm grateful that they made this album because listening to it in its entirety is perfection. Naturally I got excited again because I was going to get to post "Tribes at War" to my blog. (Who doesn't love a song featuring K'Naan?!) But still, kind of like Goldilocks, this wasn't JUST RIGHT.

It was time for me to be honest with myself. All three of the aforementioned albums are towards the top of my list, but I have to stop denying the truth. I love Sublime's self titled album that was released in 1996. At 14-years-old, I was just the right age to anticipate the release of this album. I had already fallen in love with the singles and I couldn't wait to get my hands on the rest of it. And once it was procured, it definitely didn't disappoint (I snuck it past my parents because of the Parental Advisory...REBEL!). Like Nirvana, I kind of grew out of this album, and by grew out I mean moved on. But with anything that you truly love, you move on but you never forget. Whenever this album makes it back onto my playlist, I am just as excited to hear it as I was the first time.



So, enjoy listening...or don't. I don't really care. It's my blog!
lovemaura

1 comment:

Maura said...

Sublime - Garden Grove