This isn’t my entire coming of age story. It is a brief reflection of how I am going to use the lessons I have learned during the last ten years of my life. It is a promise that I will take lightly that comes to life by writing it down to be read by myself and all my readers!
Living through my 20s was a surreal experience with all its dream like qualities leaving me in awe of this remarkable experience called life. They introduced me to the privileges and responsibilities of adulthood. They were days filled with exhilaration, anticipation, spontaneity, debauchery, immaturity, determination, frivolousness, pride, accomplishment, wavering confidence, and delicious victories that always surpassed the painful losses. I was blessed to spend most of the decade looking forward to what was next to come without ever actually worrying about the unknown future. However, regardless of the years’ many gifts, I’m so ready to see them go. I have officially spent enough time with my 20s. The story has gotten old.
Luckily for me, this change of heart is happening on the brink of my 30th birthday. I’m staring down the next decade full of excitement of what life has in store for me. I have no expectations; I’m just looking forward to taking what I learned in my 20s and applying it to the next ten years. I feel like my 30s are going to be just as much about application as learning. I have experience under my belt now. I have gained wisdom (even if it’s just a little bit) and I’m looking forward to using it to improve the quality of my life even more. I know more of what I want now. I know more about who I am and what I’m capable of. I’ve learned how to be brave and take risks. I’ve learned that starting over in an unknown world is a blessing not a curse.
The best part is that I’m starting this chapter of my life off on an incredible high. I am the healthiest I have ever been in my adult life. I have a handle on addictions. I have a determination to be healthy (physically, mentally, and spiritually). I have a desire to enjoy each moment whether they pass by too quickly or not swiftly enough. I have a plan to start new professional paths that take what I already do and love to the next level. I am surrounded by friendships that lift me up instead of tear me down. I have an appreciation for my family that has turned adoration into something almost tangible. I get to feel affection from many different angles. I am caressed and loved as often as I need. I laugh with a heartiness that seemingly comes from my soul. I look forward to every morning because it’s another gift. I’m honest with myself that this decade will also bring hardships, but I’m not afraid of them because I know I can survive them.
I’m ready to be 30.
1 comment:
Love this SO very much. This is so perfectly written--you are destined for greatness!!
You are truly an inspiration to me.
xoxo
Post a Comment