Aaron: Miss, can I talk to you in the hall?
[Walk to the hallway]
Do you know about me?
Me: No Aaron, I just met you about a week ago.
Aaron: Then why did you look directly at me when you told us to make connections to the story.
Me: That wasn't intentional Aaron.
Aaron: Well, I got stabbed two years ago from another gang member and I was laying on the sidewalk bleeding.
I have been teaching my students the three most basic reading strategies: Visualizing, Connecting, and Questioning. When I finished reading the story "On the Sidewalk Bleeding" to them, I asked them to make connections to it: text-to-text, text-to-self, or text-to-world. The story is written from the point of view of Andy, who is dying. He's laying on a sidewalk with stab wounds in his chest and he cannot talk so he is reflecting back on the choices he made to get to this point. When Andy dies, I can feel a wave of shock roll across my classroom. When I asked the students to connect, there was a lot of, "This reminds me of The Outsiders, or I've seen movies with gang fights." I wasn't expecting Aaron to take me out in the hall and explain his own stab wound.
I have been so wrapped up in this new world of NHS, and this impression of great privilege that I assume they have, that I forgot they struggle with today's society just like my kids in Denver do. I have to remember that I never know who I am teaching. They are such incredible individuals that there's no way I should ever judge based on my impressions. I'm really looking forward to the next year of getting to know them!
lovemaura
No comments:
Post a Comment