Learning from Life One Story at a Time

Thursday, September 11, 2008

I Cried in Front of Class Today...Almost

I was warned by other teachers that my students would want to talk about the September 11th attacks. So, I gave them the chance to write about it in the first part of class.
During my 1st period class, the announcements came on school wide. Over the intercom, they played an audio montage of the news clips from the attacks and the song in the background was John Lennon's, Imagine.
One of my students came up to me before class started and warned me that this day is emotional for him because his Dad has been in Iraq or Afghanistan since the first people were sent over there. He's been super excited that his Dad came home yesterday after 5 years, and also very emotional that it was the day before 9-11 when he came home.
I watched him during the announcement with his head down, trying not to let the rest of class see his emotions. That, in combination with my own reflection of what happened 7 years ago and the fact that I cry almost every time I hear that song, was enough to make me cry!
My students are going to write about their favorite song lyrics tomorrow. John Lennon wrote some of mine.

Imagine no possessions
I wonder if you can
No need for greed or hunger
A brotherhood of man
Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world

You may say that I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will live as one

lovemaura

1 comment:

Becky Hensley said...

Proud of you, teacher!

xox