Learning from Life One Story at a Time

Sunday, March 25, 2012

I come from...


“I have an affection for a great city. I feel safe in the neighborhood of man, and enjoy the sweet security of the streets.”
-Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

I have recently decided to embark on a journey. This is a journey that is close to home, a journey that must be traversed on foot, a journey that requires only a camera (and a travelling buddy whenever one so chooses to accept).

I love Denver. It's the city I come from, and I have grown to adore it. I have noticed though that I haven't paid it enough attention. I'm always driving through it or moving from one place to the next and not stopping to admire it often enough. In order to remedy this negligence, I have decided to wander this city on foot and document what I find after closely examining the unknown streets and alleys.

My first major exploration took place on St. Patrick's Day of this year. I started out to fit in a quick run at Ashland Rec Center, but realized it wasn't open for the day. Determined to fit in a workout, I started jogging from the center. I meandered from 29th and Zuni to the train yards underneath the mouse trap (1-25 and 1-70). My path was mapped out by my every whim. If something stimulated one of my senses, I investigated it. This is how I ended up weaving in and out of blocks for over 6 miles. I managed to discover areas of my neighborhood that I had never seen before.

During my journey, I encountered (more like venerated) many aspects of the Northside. I enjoyed the small details that enhance so much of the architecture.


I admired the old structures that are still standing tall (even came to appreciate them in their new state).


I found art hiding on the sides of houses, in the alleys, and some even hiding right in front of me.












I think this was my favorite alley "art" (I don't think it was intended as art, but I couldn't help but see it that way!). I liked imagining that children were going to jump out and attack me at any moment!


I encountered the friendliest guys drinking outside of their vintage furniture store on 33rd and Tejon (across from Rosalinda's). They offered me free beer, tried to talk me into going to the parade with them, made me walk through their store, and feigned sadness when I kept moving on. But I didn't move on until I snapped a few pictures in their awesome store. I wish I could remember the name of it! Just know that if you're looking for cool furniture, you should check them out.





I spent at least 45 minutes just staring at all the art on different community centers and schools up and down Pecos. These are murals I have seen many times, but have never stopped and reflected on. My eyes welled up with tears a couple times because I couldn't help but think about all the love that went into these  murals. I tried to picture the people united in one belief coming together to paint them, and that made my heart swell with pride in a neighborhood that truly knows about community.

















When art wasn't stopping me in my tracks, I followed my nose. You are all aware of how beautiful the weather was on St. Patricks' Day, but the sun wasn't the only natural gift that shared itself with us that day. Trees, bushes, and flowers were in full bloom creating the alluring smell of Spring!



Because of the blossoming tree above, I found myself on 37th and Inca. Since I had made it that far, I decided to wander down to the train tracks. I think this may be my favorite spot that day. It was a spot that I had never seen. It was the moment that I realized that even in my neighborhood, there were places to be explored.




And on my way home, I met Basutas. As I walked past him and mumbled "buenas dias" from under my headphones, he grabbed my arm, told me I had a beautiful smile, and asked me to read his poetry. It may seem like it was a horrible idea for me to oblige his request, but he was a friendly, unthreatening man who just seemed lonely. So, I stood outside his house and waited for him to bring me a poem or two. He came out with a notebook and insisted I keep it. He then told me a little bit about him. He has lived in the same house on Mariposa since the 70s. His wife died ten years back and all his children moved away. He has never thought about living somewhere else. He made me admire his flag by the front door and told me that he was going to add my name to his list of las princesas he has met in his life. I thanked him for sharing his words and his story and found myself reading his poems the rest of the way home.




Based on the success of this walkabout, I'm excited to embark on this photo journey this summer! I knew when I started that I was going to enjoy the process and be inspired by the sights, but I didn't know I would have such an emotional connection to the journey. Maybe it's because I decided to start in the neighborhood, I come from...who knows. Either way, I'm ready to keep moving.
lovemaura




No comments: