Learning from Life One Story at a Time

Sunday, March 25, 2012

Are You Motivated or Determined?

I recently hit my 60lb. weight loss goal!!!!!! Actually, I'm at 63 pounds now, but who's counting? Oh wait, I am!


As I have said many times before, losing weight has been an interesting trek. Thank goodness I'm convinced that it's fun! I think having this attitude about it is what keeps me going.


I was sitting in my Weight Watchers meeting yesterday morning listening to Michelle talk about the difference between motivation and determination. As a teacher, I tell people all the time that they just need to find the motivation to do something. I still believe this, but I realize that it's only half the process. Thank goodness I came to this realization (thanks, Michelle!) or I'd only be doing half of my job as an advisor!

Motivation is something that is fleeting. When it graces us with its presence, it's a force to be reckoned with, but when the tide takes it away from us, we may find ourselves uninspired or apathetic if determination doesn't pick up where motivation left off. That's how I know I'm determined! Nothing is going to stop me from hitting my weight loss goal...NOTHING! I have lost motivation many times since September, but I am still on a victorious road. It hasn't been easily travelled, but I'm determined to not give up. And, when I reach my weight loss goal, I will be determined to maintain it! 

For the moments when my determination is growing stale, I have the most amazing motivational push to keep me on track. This push isn't constant, but it's always there when I need a reminder. It's a phone call or text away and it comes in the form of Team Bye Bye Bootie! These are the most refreshing girls I have ever met. They also possess the determination I do and that force creates motivation in its residual wake!


If you ever need a motivational push when it comes to your physical health, call me, Naomi, Julie O, Julie N, or Krisha and we'll remind you why taking care of your body is AWESOME! We're great in helping to generate motivation, but you'll have to keep rolling on to your own determination. That will be yours and I promise if you find it, you'll be proud of yourself!

lovemaura

2 comments:

Amber said...

I love this post, Maura! You're an inspiration!

I've lost motivation quite a few times since starting my GET STRONG mission, but I'm so super determined. I'm still going!

Micah D.L. said...

I just started running again and I always end up failing right around week 5. This was a great blog to help me power through...thank you!