Now that Crissy's month of binds is over, it's time to reflect on how I applied her theme to my own life!
Crissy really is a master of making strong connections that transfer from the yoga mat to the world outside of the studio. I mean, I know the point of yoga is that it is a constant practice on and off the mat, but sometimes it takes a lot for me to be thinking about my meditation when I'm not in a room with someone reminding me to breath.
Back to binds. Crissy prompted these classes with the idea of what a bind is. If you look it up in the dictionary, you find many different definitions. Of course, because of my English teacher nature, I looked up the word in my dictionary as soon as the first class was over. I chose to focus my intention for the next 8 (or so) sessions on the definition that says, "To cause (people) to feel united." Naturally, this was an easy intention for me because the relationships in my life are the most important part of my identity. Since I choose to identify with these people, then I am binding myself to them, right?!
(re)UNITED and it feels so good! (I couldn't help that one.)
So, while I was twisting my arms behind my back, around my body, and through my legs in a number of contorted poses, it was my job to think about the people with whom I choose to unite. If you have ever done yoga before, you know that binds can potentially feel restrictive. Well, with the help of Crissy's incredible talent to verbally cue each pose, I learned that a bind doesn't restrict. Instead, it supports and rinses the body while it promotes an open heart. She reminded me while holding each bind to roll my shoulders back and use the bind to keep my heart forward and open.
Each session, as the sweat dripped from my face while holding bound extended side angle, my breathing would encourage my mind to focus on my people: my mama, my papa, my sister, my bro-in-law, my cousins, my boyfriend, my bye-bye-booties, my work wife and beloved colleagues, my students, my long list of Northsiders, and so on. If I didn't know how to maintain healthy relationships, my choice to unite with these people could restrict my identity. But since I choose to use my bind with these people to encourage my own individuality, then they act as a support system to keep my heart open and my mind clear.
When you think of binds, what do you think about? To what do you bind yourself? Do you use your bind to encourage an open heart, or do you let it restrict you? Just a slew of questions is all! Might as well try to get you to reflect as well. ;)
lovemaura
No comments:
Post a Comment