Learning from Life One Story at a Time

Saturday, November 10, 2012

Radiating Light During Dark Times


I have this beautiful, amazing, encouraging, nurturing friend named Monique. We used to work together until she was unfairly released from her teaching position. This blog isn't about going into the logistics of why she doesn't work with me anymore. It's more about the fact that I miss her light everyday.

Teaching is an amazing job. It's a gift and a blessing, but it's also an intense drain of energy. There are a few things that a good teacher can hold on to that will help them through the school year, and one of them is the support of fellow teachers who share the same heart for the job and the students.

Monique was one of my professional confidants. She was one of my people to turn to at the end of the day when the job was starting to feel impossible. She made me laugh and she kept things real.

Last year, while we (supportive staff and students) were all trying to cope with the fact that she wouldn't be at our campus anymore, this picture came up across one of my video projects. This was an image of us at ropes course with a random transition filter over it. I did not plan it; I did not expect it. I just looked up at my screen and noticed it in a split second of editing. I don't think it was a coincidence. It was more like providence!

Monique is a light. She radiates love. When you are with her you can feel it coming from her core. You know you have an advocate in Monique. You know you have a support. You know you have love. This photo was proof to me that this all is true. The lines of light and color spreading away from her body weren't just a filter, but an opportunity to see all that she shares with the world around her.

To Monique, I love you. I miss you. I thank you for doing your best to stay positive and change this world. Everything you have coming to you in this life you have worked hard for and earned. All you have blessed us with will come back to you ten fold!

lovemaura

No comments: