Learning from Life One Story at a Time

Sunday, November 20, 2011

Thoughts from My Yoga Mat - Matters of the Heart

Amie at Qi Yoga started off today's meditation asking the question, "What are you grateful for?" Seems pretty cliché, but she had that covered. "I already know you're thankful for your family, your job, the obvious blessings in your life. Dig deeper. What are you thankful for?"

That's how I got to Matters of the Heart...

The heart is such an interesting muscle. It is vital; it is weak; it is emotional; it is life. It amazes me that my heart can remember, and that despite all of the hurt memories it contains, it can still heal.

If it's true that the heart is the most important muscle in the body, then it must also be true that it's important to keep it healthy. Isn't the best way to keep a muscle healthy to work it out?! If so, then the aches and pains I have put my heart through, and the numerous times I've had to repair it, are helping make me one of the healthiest people ever!

I sat down at my piano recently to play my favorite Lady Gaga cover and realized that my tone had changed. This song, the one that used to make me cry, the one that I sang from my soul in a moment of brokenness, the one that validated the emotions I was wallowing in, no longer felt that way. Don't get me wrong, I still love the song as much as I did when Naomi first brought it to my attention, but the connection I once felt with Stefani Germanotta's plea to a lost love is gone.

It is safe to say that my heart has once again healed from a situation that in the moment rendered me completely speechless. I now have endless voice to express my feelings! :)

Like I said, my heart amazes me because of its resilience. I thank it for allowing me to let go.
lovemaura




1 comment:

Unknown said...

ahhhhhhhhhh love it!