Learning from Life One Story at a Time

Sunday, November 27, 2011

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close

I've been reading the same book for months now. Since it keeps getting put on the back burner, it feels like a reward every time I actually get a chance to sit down and read it. Thank goodness it's amazingly written by one of my favorite authors or else I would have given up on it a long time ago.

Sunday night I actually got the chance to crack it open for more than two pages. While reading, I came across a line that stood out because it recently came up in conversation with my friend Lily, and that moment was a revisit to a conversation Chachi and I had when we were much younger.

Mr. Foer writes, "So many people enter and leave your life! Hundreds of thousands of people! You have to keep the door open so they can come in! But it means you also have to let them go!"
- Mr. Black (born Jan 1, 1900)

I need to be reminded of this often. I hang on to people. I hurt so much when it's time to let them go and I dwell too long on wishing I could keep them in my life exactly as I want them to be. Chachi told me once that I need to realize every person who crosses my life's path is supposed to be there for one major purpose. I'm supposed to learn something from them. He had me toying with the idea that once a person has taught me everything I can learn from them (and them from me), they will move on. That lesson may be taught in 5 minutes, but it may also take 60 years. Whatever the lesson may be, I need to thank them for being my teacher for the moment I had them and I need to let them go on their way when it's time for them to leave.

Foer beautifully articulates this same idea through the wisdom of Mr. Black. I love that his quote is completely abbreviated with exclamation marks. It IS a tremendous gift when someone shares themselves with me because (only one of many benefits) I will never lose the wisdom I gained from them. However, letting them go when/if they're ready is better for me and them. That's the open door policy, right?! Letting people in, but also being willing to let them leave? If I kept the door closed, I would never have to feel the person leaving, but I also would have never let them in my life in the first place and I'm not really willing to live that way!
lovemaura



No comments: