In a conference this afternoon a student told me, "Maura, I didn't want to come to school and start a new quarter today. Everything at home is really hard right now, and it would be easier to quit and run away from it all. Then I thought about how hard you worked for us last quarter and how much you believe in us, and I realized I didn't want to let you down." At first I felt bad that she didn't want to disappoint me; I never want my students to think they let me down. Guilt doesn't seem like an appropriate motivator in this situation. Then I realized just how big of a compliment she paid me and started crying.
I suppose I share this to say that you never know who's watching you and how your work/support/love might be helping them. Those of you who fight the good fight, keep up with your hustle. Take the time to help others; you may just be doing more good than you know.
When you are being most genuinely yourself, do it with empathy, love and kindness. Someone is watching and learning from you. I hope a student of yours points it out to you one day like mine did for me today. If that never happens, don't fret; someone is learning from you and you are motivating them to be better. It most likely has been me!
No comments:
Post a Comment