Learning from Life One Story at a Time

Sunday, March 31, 2013

Easter Sunday As It Should Be

This morning Zach and I woke up, grabbed John and headed to brunch with their family. It was a lovely gathering with a few mimosas and a huge Mexican buffet. I felt blessed to get to be part of their family for the morning and feel their love.

After lunch, I took a quick rest on the couch and checked my Facebook feed. I enjoyed looking at all the lovely pictures of families hunting for Easter eggs and eating delicious Easter dinners. I took a moment to reflect on my student who passed away three years ago today. I thought about how amazing it is to live this life and surround ourselves with people we love, then I headed out to the frisbee golf course.

Zach, John and I enjoyed a sunny round of frisbee golf then headed home to relax and get some Sunday chores done. I felt like I spent my Easter perfectly until I drove past Sheridan and Colfax and saw these guys:



At first I thought it was just the standard group of guys flying signs on the corner, but then I got closer and realized they were there to love on the guys who are normally asking for spare change. Don't get me wrong. I'm not calling a mulligan on my Easter Sunday. I love how I spent it; I just think these guys did it better. If Easter is about the Resurrection of Jesus, then doesn't it make sense to spend the day doing something Christ-like? These gentlemen figured it out. I stood in awe of them, blubbered appreciations at them, and went about my way. They were so kind and humble. I asked them if I could contribute to their charitable action and they said I could contribute by eating lunch. I politely declined, but only because I just wolfed down a huge brunch! 

So to the men standing on the corner of Sheridan and Colfax, thank you for the quick, humbling lesson of charity you just taught me. Thank you for caring about your community. Thank you for feeding the downtrodden (and the hungry).

lovemaura

No comments: