Learning from Life One Story at a Time

Sunday, August 5, 2012

I Think That is Joy You're Seeing

I spend a lot of time at Sloan's Lake. I'm either walking around it, biking around it, or running around it. Being there on a daily basis allows me to see so many different walks of like and I LOVE it! I wish I could strike up a conversation with every person I pass, but that would be incredibly time consuming so instead I just watch. I promise that I don't watch with any hint of judgment, I just watch with wonder and awe for the life around me.

For the last couple months, I have repeatedly walked by a man and his dog that have caught my attention because they are quite the spectacle. I wish I could get a picture of them to show you, but alas I cannot so you'll just have to imagine this in your head. The man is in his late 50s or early 60s and he is on his bike in tow of his incredibly energetic border collie. The man's feet are jutted out to the side because the dog is pulling him so fast that his feet can't keep up with the rotation of the pedals. The look on the man's face is one of entertainment and slight terror and he has a white-knuckle grip on the handlebars as he steers around corners and curves. The dog is open-mouth panting, which seems more like a smile. His tongue is hanging out of his mouth and flapping on the side of his face because of the speed-generated breeze. In the midst of all this frenzy, they seem to move together with complete grace as they go back and forth along the southeast edge of the lake.

I described this scene to Zach this morning after seeing it for the #th (this helps me quantify without over-exaggerating!) time. He told me, "Maura, I think that is joy you're seeing." I loved that response. What a perfect example of complete joy between a man and his dog! There seems to be just the right mixture of trust, companionship, excitement, uncertainty, and energy. Sounds like a joyful relationship to me!

So, to the man at the lake and his dog, thank you for letting me see your splendor in each other's company! I will always remember how seeing the two of you makes me feel.
lovemaura

No comments: