The last 24 weeks of my life have been devoted to getting physically healthy. At some point, I'm going to stop counting these weeks because this is a lifestyle I plan to adopt forever, but until I reach my goal weight, I'm going to keep counting as a way to set some of my smaller goals during the process. I feel lucky that along the way my journey is being supported by Weight Watcher's guidelines. This program is helping me immensely mostly because it's so easy to follow, but also because I have a weekly weigh in and meeting that helps hold me accountable for my choices.
The first time my weight went up at a weigh in, I was completely disappointed in myself. I looked back at what I did that week and couldn't figure out why I had a gain. I was down on myself. I felt like I should "go directly to jail" and "not collect $200." My support team consoled me by talking about the long lists of reasons why I might have gained weight. I knew every thing they said was right, but it still didn't make me feel better. I hate when hard work isn't rewarded by instant results! It makes me crazy.
However, I have learned in the long run that pulling this card at my weigh in is not indicative of me losing the game. There may not be instant results, but there are still significant results. In fact, it's only a minor set back and not the final say. This card is only a slight increase on a continually decreasing slope. I can overcome it and keep moving forward.
There are some Saturdays when I step on the scale and I lose a significant amount of weight (4 to 5 pounds) when I haven't really worked that hard or made the most healthy choices that week. These moments always feel like the "get out of jail free" card. I feel like I got away with something. My choices that week weren't the healthiest, but the scale still rewarded me. I try really hard to not let myself expect these results, but now that I have gotten them a few times, it's hard to not hope for them. I really do wish that I could always half-ass my efforts and have a positive result on the scale, but that's just not the way it is!
The weigh ins where I feel the most proud of myself are the ones after a long week of healthy choices. I worked out 6 to 7 times that week, I met the healthy foods guidelines by focusing on my power foods, and I tracked every bite. The scale is never consistent on these weeks. Sometimes I lose .5 pounds, but sometimes it's over 2. Regardless of the number on the scale, I feel like I have wings when I leave these meetings because I know that my choices were right and I know that I'm on the right path.
As much as I need the scale to determine when I have reached my weight loss goal, it's not the only indication that what I'm doing is bettering my life. Sometimes feeling lighter in my body, like I have wings, is all I need! I'm loving this game. Not knowing what card I'm going to pull at my weigh in keeps things exciting. Having the confidence that when it's all said and done I'm going to win the game helps me keep playing regardless of the ups and downs. So now, I take time every Saturday to appreciate myself and have a positive attitude about losing weight. I'm also honest with myself and look for positive affirmation from my support team when I need a pick me up. Wherever I'm at with my attitude towards the process, the most important thing I remind myself to do every week is enjoy another trip around the Monopoly board.
So, come next Saturday morning at 9 o'clock, know that I have my game face on and I'm in it to win it. Wow! I can't believe I just said that! I'm definitely not one who is overly competitive or motivated by winning, but this is a game I'm not willing to lose!
lovemaura




No comments:
Post a Comment